I have suffered from sensitive/acne prone skin since I was around 13 years old. My skin was actually doing pretty well about a year ago, until it started wigging out and I had really bad break outs that would never go away. Luckily, I’ve found a few products that have worked wonders on my skin, and although I still have scarring and little break outs here and there, my skin is 90% better. It makes me feel so much better about myself, and just makes all the difference in the world. As much as I hate to say it, if I am suffering from a breakout, it pretty much takes over my day.
Because I know how disheartening it can be to suffer with acne, I would never recommend products that I didn’t think would work. That being said, everyone is different, and different things work for different people, but I wanted to share what has helped for me for removing makeup much more effectively than what I was previously doing. I always try to remove my makeup before going to bed, but once or twice a week I don’t fully remove it, and it definitely causes my skin to act up, so removing it all is important, and just feels better!
These are things that I have found through watching youtube video reviews, through trial and error, and one product was recommended by a lovely doctor who also suffers from acne. This post reminded me that I have to go in and thank her soon!
For removing my makeup:
- I mix 3 parts Aloe Vera water with 1 part Sweet Almond Oil into a small bottle so I always have it on hand. Since the oil and aloe separates, I give it a quick shake before using it and I put a good amount of it onto a biodegradable large cotton round (I usually end up using 2-3) and then wipe off my makeup. It makes it so easy and you don’t have to use much force to get your makeup to slide right off.
- Rinse face with water and wipe with a soft cloth.
For getting rid of and maintaining an acne-free face:
I try to do these steps 2 times a day (except for one product that I’ll make note of), every day.
- I spray or use a cotton round to apply some Rose Petal toner all over my face and neck. The one by Thayers smells so good and is what I prefer, but I got a free bottle of the Madre Labs brand, which is a little cheaper and does the job.
- For exfoliating, the best product i’ve ever found is by Paula’s Choice. It is the Skin Perfecting 2% BHA exfoliating liquid. I apply a bit of it to a cotton ball and wipe it all over my face, without getting too close to my eyes. Your skin is noticably smoother within minutes. This product is raved about on Youtube, which is how I found out about it. I have really liked most of the Paula’s Choice products I’ve tried. They are a bit pricey, but still reasonable and worth it. They offer samples for most of their products, so you can give them a try before committing to a full-size.
- This next step is what I apply only at night, and only a very small amount of it. It is the main reason why my acne cleared up. It is called Tactuo (Or Epiduo in the states). It is a prescription topical acne medication and it is quite pricey, which is why I put off trying it for a few weeks. I think it was around $100 for me, but I still have loads of it left and I’ve been using it for over 5 months! Anyway, one of the lovely doctors at a clinic I go to recommended this and I’m sooo grateful! I was told it would take around 6 weeks for results to show, and that is pretty much how long it took for me too, but once 6 weeks had passed, the results were great! I downloaded an App for the iPhone called Epi-Tracker. It is a simple app that lets you take a photo every day, so you can see how your face is improving over the weeks. If you decide to try out Tactuo/Epiduo, make sure to speak with your doctor and know the side-effects. It dries out your skin and LESS is more. Using more product will not make your acne go away quicker. It really only takes a pea-sized amount for most of your face. Also, be patient! It can be discouraging to not see results, but the few weeks it takes for the results to kick in are so worth it if this product works for you.
- Last step is to moisturize – I usually use the same mixture that I use to remove my makeup (Aloe vera and Sweet Almond Oil).
That’s pretty much it! I occasionally use a soft exfoliating cloth in the shower, maybe once or twice a week, and if I have some on hand, I’ll use the Paula’s Choice Weekly Resurfacing Treatment at night. It really makes your skin so smooth the next morning! I’m going to get a full-size instead of just sample-sizes soon, because it has worked really well and buying so many samples ends up being more expensive. 😛
Please feel free to ask any questions in the comments if you have any and I’ll be sure to answer! I hope this has been helpful to some of you. 🙂