Delicious pita stuffed with a yummy cabbage mixture – make it more spicy or cheesy – however you like it! And explore all the possibilities of what else you can stuff into the pitas. I served this last night, cut into quarters….with some tofu stir fry with black beans, spinach and cauliflower in a vegan “cheese sauce” =O And you bet yer butt that I’m having the leftovers tonight. 🙂
I’m sorry about the horrrrrible photos for these – Next time I make them I will take proper photos and replace these. It was a last minute (more like last second :s) decision to shoot these and the lighting was really bad and I was so hungry haha.. sorry guys.
Cabbage Stuffed Pitas
For the dough:
- 3 cups wholewheat flour
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- pinch of sea salt
- optional: garlic powder and/or onion powder
- water (I used about ½ cup)
- 2 cups cabbage, finely chopped or grated
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast and/or vegan parmesan/ other vegan cheese
- 2-3 green onions, finely chopped
- optional: 2-3 tbs fresh chives, finely chopped (I didn't have any left, but I would have added some in)
- 1 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
- splash of hot sauce and/or cayenne/red pepper flakes (to your desired spiciness)
- ¼ tsp ground ginger (or fresh)
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- pinch of sea salt
- Get out a bowl and add in the flour, tbs of oil and slowly start to add in water, stirring with a wooden spoon or spatula. I recommend starting to mix with your hands. You want the mixture to be quite "solid"..not overly wet or dripping. If it's too dry and there is still powdery flour on the bottom of the bowl, add in a bit more water. If it's too wet, add in a bit more flour. When it's the right consistency, cover with a damp cloth and leave it for about 10-15 minutes while you prepare the cabbage mixture.
- For the mixture, simply add in all the ingredients listed and mix well.
- Get out a cutting board and a rolling pin. Add a bit of flour on the board and break up your dough into small balls. Roll 1 ball of dough until flat. Now roll out another one. Scoop a bit of the cabbage mixture in the middle of one the flattened pieces of dough, then place the 2nd piece of flattened dough on top. Press lightly around the edges to seal. Now start carefully rolling the dough again, until it is as thin as you can make it while still being able to lift up the pita in one piece in order to transfer it onto a skillet. I had some of the cabbage mixture's moisture leak out during this process. That is ok. You can either roll with this or try to squeeze out some of the moisture in the mixture before you start adding the mixture in the pitas.
- Once you've finished that process, lightly brush each side of the pitas with a small amount of sesame oil (or olive oil). Heat a nonstick skillet to just below medium heat and place a pita on it. Heat for a few minutes on each side or until toasty brown.
- Serve whole or cut into slices - Kind of like you would with a pizza. S
- These would be good served with a stir fry with a yummy sauce to dip the pitas into. Enjoy! 🙂