Mashed cauliflower is very quick to whip up and is a healthy side dish, especially when paired with a bed of greens or steamed veggies, such as brussel sprouts or asparagus.
Mashed Cauliflower & Spinach - Cauliflower Mash Potatoes Substitute
- Head of Cauliflower, chopped into florets
- Baby Spinach
- Garlic Powder (or minced garlic)
- Ground Black Pepper & Cayenne Pepper (to taste)
- Nutritional Yeast (to sprinkle on top)
- 1 tsp Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
- ¼ tsp ground Thyme
- Unsalted Sunflower seeds (to sprinkle on top)
- 1 tbs Lemon Juice (and extra for on the spinach if you choose)
- 2-3 tbs Non-Dairy Milk (optional...helps with blending and makes it a bit creamier)
- Hot Mustard & Vegan Mayo (again, optional. This is what I added to the side... yummy :))
- Fill a skillet with water and put on high heat. While it's warming up, chop the cauliflower into florets and place in a steamer. When water in the skillet starts to bowl, place steamer in the skillet and reduce heat to medium-low and steam until florets are soft (about 15 or so minutes).
- When cauliflower is tender, remove heat and allow to cool. Once cool, place in a food processor (I just used my magic bullet) and add in the milk (I used Almond Milk) and the garlic power/minced garlic, soy sauce, lemon juice and thyme and blend until cauliflower has a smooth "mashed potato"-type consistency.
- In a bowl, place a generous handful of spinach down and squeeze some lemon over it. I steamed my spinach for a bit, but you don't have to. Add a scoop of the cauliflower on top. Add pepper and cayenne to your taste, as well as some nutritional yeast and sunflower seeds.
- Play around. You can omit all the spices/extras I've included and just start with the basic Mashed Cauliflower and add whatever you'd like to it. Onion powder, sea salt, hot sauce...