This is a really great treat. It has a chewy and creamy texture thanks to the chewy oats and the creamy ground up dates. There is a lot of rich flavor and one square is very satisfying. Instead of butter and sugar, apple sauce and maple syrup/honey is used instead as sweeteners and binding ingredients. I have to give credit to Susan for her lovely Fig Bars, as these are a date version. I assume fig would be really nice as well. 🙂
1 1/2 Cups Pitted Dates
1 tbsp Pure Maple Syrup or Honey
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Pinch of cinnamon (or to your taste)
1 slice Ginger, finely minced or 1/8th tsp Ground ginger
Optional: 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups gluten-free oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
3 tbs Pure Maple Syrup or Honey
1/4 cup water
- Grind the dates in a food processor until it forms a paste. Add in the rest of the Date Mixture ingredients and blend until mixed.
- In a large bowl, add in all of the dry Crust ingredients and mix together. Add in the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Get out a square metal or glass baking pan (8 inches) and either lightly oil it with extra virgin olive oil, or line with parchment paper. Add in half of the Crust mixture and press down on the mixture so it’s compact and flat.
- Add in and spread the Date Mixture over the bottom layer of crust and smooth it over so that it’s evenly distributed. Then, add the remaining Crust mixture on top and spread evenly and press down slightly.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes. Allow to cool and then transfer to wire cooling rack or dish.