- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 small onion)
- 1 cup chopped carrots (1 large carrot)
- 4 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes (2 small-medium sweet potatoes)
- ½ tsp ground ginger / 1 tsp fresh minced ginger
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable stock (or 2 vegetable stock cubes with 4 cups of water)
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice
- optional: cayenne or red pepper flakes, to taste
- Prepare all of the vegetables. Heat the olive oil in a medium sized pot on medium-low heat. Add in the onions and cook until they start to become translucent (1 or 2 minutes). Add in the carrots and the sweet potato and cook for about 4-6 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the ginger, cumin and curry powder. Next add in the vegetable stock, coconut milk and lemon juice and bring to a bowl. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for around 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly and then add into a blender and blend until smooth. Sprinkle with ground black pepper when serving. You may also like to add a spoonful of vegan sour cream* or yogurt on top.
Vegan Sour Cream
- 1 package of silken firm tofu
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tsps fresh Lemon juice
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey/ agave nectar / vegan sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- optional: bit of garlic powder and/or dill + cayenne if you enjoy spiciness
Blend all the ingredients. Use a spatula to scrape the sides of your blender to ensure that everything gets evenly blended. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.