So I’ve been playing around with vegan pancakes lately and tweaking ingredients and quantities. I have one really tasty apple and banana infused vegan pancake I’ve been digging, but they weren’t fluffy, which is fine, but I really wanted to capture the fluffiness that you tend to get with pancake mixes. I think this recipe does quite well in creating a soft, fluffy pancake. The orange juice makes it all the tastier! They are easy to flip, too. I find that sometimes low fat/vegan pancakes and crepes can fall apart a little bit when maneuvering.
1 cup orange juice
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup raisins (I used Thompson raisins)
1/4 cup wheat germ
- Add all ingredients in a bowl and mix until all ingredients are incorporated together.
- Heat a nonstick skillet to medium-heat (can add some coconut oil or olive oil if desired. I seem to be fine not using any.)
- Pour batter onto skillet, depending on how large you want your pancakes to be.
- Cook for a few minutes on either side. When the edges are starting to crisp, it’s a good sign that it can be flipped to the other side.
- Transfer onto plate and enjoy! )
I find these to be quite sweet on their own from the apple sauce, banana and orange juice, so I don’t add much syrup as it can become too sweet. Just start with a small amount and add from there.