Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a fun and safe time. I haven’t been attending to the needs of Calm Mind Busy Body lately, so I’m going to try to make up for it. I tried something different (for me, at least) when I was giving out little gifts to friends and family. I handmade most of everything I gave as gifts, including this awesome yet omg-10-arms-thing-will-take-forevar Squid (pattern here). But it was for my best friend, so I’d make her 10 more if she wanted. (o__o)
I wanted to try my hand at making awesome natural smelling things that were relaxing and would help to reduce stress, so I made some bath bombs, nice smelling Epsom salts and an awesome sugar scrub that leaves your skin feeling soft and awesome! I looked at a bunch of different tutorials and tips and will share as much of it as I can remember and will include links to helpful pages I found.
Some of the key ingredients to making the follow things awesome are essential oils. Aura Cacia has an extensive and thorough list on different kinds of essential oils and their properties / benefits.
Gentle Exfoliating & Moisturizing Sugar Scrub (Use on Face and Body)
- 1/2 cup Cane Sugar
- 1/2 cup Almond Oil / Avocado Oil / Rose Hip Seed Oil / Olive Oil
- small amount of Beet Powder* (This is only for the pink colour, so you can omit it if you wish – I think I used around 1-2 tsps)
- 1/2 tbs Witch Hazel (You can get it cheap at the drug store / pharmacy)
- 1-3 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
- 1 tbs Aloe Gel
- 1/2 tbs Fresh Lemon Juice
*I got my Beet Powder from the bulk section of a health food store, since you only need a little bit so it saves you some money. 🙂 Especially since it is only used for the pink colour, but it makes it look really pretty!
- Combine all of the ingredients and mix well. I transferred mine into smaller containers and kept the ones I wasn’t using in the fridge. (I’m not sure if this is totally necessary, but it seemed like it couldn’t hurt). I use this mostly for my face, but it’s really nice all over the body too! Moisten your face slightly with some warm water and then take a small amount of the scrub in your hand and gently massage and rinse on. Your face should feel clean and silky smooth. 🙂
Fizzy Pink Relaxing Bath Bombs
- 1 cup Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Citric Acid
- 1/2 cup Corn Starch
- 1/2 Cup Epsom Salts or Dead Sea Salt
- 3/4 tbsp water
- 2 tsp Essential Oils of your choice (I used Eucalyptus, Lavender, Sweet Orange and Vanilla)
- 2 1/2 tbs Sweet Almond Oil / Olive Oil / Avocado Oil
- Mold of some kind (I used a mini muffin tray and a silicon heart tray)
- Put all of the dry ingredients into a glass bowl. I actually quickly blended the dry ingredients in my blender to make the Epsom salt grains a bit finer. Next you want to put it all together and make sure it has a smooth mixture with no clumps.
- In a smaller bowl, add in the wet ingredients and mix together as best as you can. Since there is oil and water involved, you won’t be able to get it to be fully mixed together.
- Add in a small amount of the wet ingredients into the dry. After you add a small amount, start to mix everything together, and repeat this process until everything is mixed together and you are able to clump the mixture in your hand and it should stick together. (It will still be a bit crumbly)
- Ok, now add the mixture into your molds. You want to do this fairly quickly. If you are using a muffin/chocolate mold tray, you can press onto the tops of the mixture to make sure it is packed in. After a short time, you can tap/pop them out of the molds carefully. Make sure your hands are dry before you do this, as moisture/humidity will activate the bath bombs.
- Now you’re done! Keep them stored in a glass jar or plastic bag and where moisture won’t be able to get in. Because there are no preservatives, I’ve read that you should use your bath bombs between 3-6 months. I’ve been keeping my extra ones in the fridge and taking them out as I need them. Enjoy the fizzy yummy-smelling bath bombs! They make lovely gifts and you can customize the scents to suit whoever you are making them for.. 🙂
* For the Bath Bomb molds, you can use silicon chocolate/candy/cupcake molds, clear plastic ball ornaments (that open up in the middle so you can put your mixture inside), Bath Bomb specific molds – Etsy has a nice selection in different shapes.
Soothing & Relaxing Lavender Sweet Orange Bath Salts
- 2 cups Epsom Salt
- 1 cups Baking Soda
- 3 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 3 drops Sweet Orange Essential Oil
- 3 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- tiny bit of Beet Powder, for pink colour
- I also added in some dried lavender and rosemary
- Just mix everything together and you’re done! I usually put around 1/3 cup of the mixture into the bath. Prepare to feel relaxed and enjoy!
Buying the Ingredients:
Information about Essential Oils: