If you have a dog, there is probably a good chance that they may become distressed and scared during a thunderstorm or when they hear fireworks. I manage a Facebook group for people who have Belgian Shepherds (ilovemybelgianshepherd.com), and we had a great discussion about it and there were some really great suggestions! Some had mentioned that their dogs had no issue with thunder or fireworks, while others said their poor dogs became completely distraught. There is no one solution to helping this situation, as all doggies are different, but I thought it was worth listing some of the suggestions in case some of them could help your dog(s) in the future. No one wants their fur babies to be sad. Look at this little face:
Tips for Dogs who get Anxiety from Thunder & Fireworks
- Adaptil Diffuser plug-in (one vial lasts 1 month and whole unit needs to be replaced after 5 months). I’ve heard this referred to as the “Dog Appeasing Pheromone”.
- Thundershirt (They make these for cats too! 🙂 Thundershirt has done scientific research to backup their product. It involved a yearly study with over 2,000 dogs. You can take a look at this here.
- Flower Essence – This is a natural method of soothing dogs (and humans). They have a very informative FAQ page. Something to note is that they say it isn’t possible to take too much/overdose on their product. “…the Bach Flower Remedies are very helpful to aid pets overcome difficult times. The Bach Flower Remedies have been very successful in calming hyperactive dogs, fearful cats, trips to the vet, moving, fear of thunder, newly arrived puppies or kittens and many other pet emotions.”
- Not acknowledging the Storm/Fireworks/Cause of anxiety – Some people have noted that they don’t acknowledge a storm/fireworks and just go about their normal activities and it helps to reassure their dog that everything is ok. This may be difficult to do if you see that your dog is unhappy, but if may be worth trying. Your dog might get more upset if you make a big deal about it by trying to comfort them.
- TTouch body wrap – I’ve only just heard about this from one of the people in my dog Facebook group, but it seems to work similar to the Thundershirt, except you are using a wrap (like an MMA hand wrap kind of thing!) around the body of your dog.
“Body Wraps are an amazing tool in the use of many Behavioral and Health problems such as balance, focus, hyper-excitability, nervousness, fear of thunderstorms and many more. Essentially, they are elastic bandages, which are wrapped around the body of an animal that acts to calm a bit like a swaddling blanket on a baby.” – Ttouch Body wrap
I’ve never had a Giveaway for dogs before, so this is exciting! If you have a dog(s) who suffer from anxiety and/or stress due to any number of things, such as storms, fireworks, car rides etc… then the Thundershirt might do wonders for them! 🙂 Read the info below on how to be eligible and how to enter!
Rules, Info & How to Enter
- Open to those living in the US and in Canada only. (Sorry to those living outside those areas! I try to make giveaways worldwide when possible.)
- If you win, you have 5 days to respond with your mailing address or I’ll have to draw another winner. I will announce the winner on the Facebook page.
- I’ll find the winner through a random integer generator.
- How to Enter: There are 2 quick steps in entering: 1. Please leave a comment on this post saying that you’d like to enter this contest (In the name field, please write your first name and the first letter of your last name and include your email in the email field (don’t worry, your email will be hidden except from me, who will only use it to let you know if you’ve won. :)). 2. Please like or subscribe to either our: Facebook page or Youtube page. Facebook is the first place I go to announce new posts, videos, giveaways, prizes etc! There are also Facebook exclusive giveaways, so it’s worth checking out. 🙂
- Contest ends on Thursday Feb. 12th at 10 EST / 12 AST. I’ll announce the winner that same day through email and Facebook.
Promoted on Contestgirl.
That’s it! 😀 I wish everyone could win! (Cheesy, but true).