A few months ago I came across a recipe that included vegan chocolate fudge sauce and my attention was immediately grabbed. There was a link to the maker’s of this delicious looking sauce, so I checked out their site and all of their great looking products. I come across quite a lot of cool vegan products/foods, as I am always researching for Calm Mind Busy Body and just for myself in general, but it is rare for me to drop what I’m doing and immediately look for where I am able to try out said thing that has enticed me. I have made my own vegan chocolate sauces before, but they are always made with coconut oil, which is quite fattening (but healthy too!) and a bit time-consuming. When I found out that these were fat free with -no- artificial or nasty ingredients, I was certain that I wanted to try these out. They just seemed perfect for Calm Mind Busy Body and what I look for in products to share with you guys.
I don’t say this about every product I try out and review, but from the 4 Wax Orchard Products I have tried so far, I give these a complete Win. Love the ingredients, the company’s philosophy, the fact that they are in a facility that has no risk of contamination from common allergens and that they are vegan. Even people who aren’t vegetarian or vegan will enjoy these. I have given a taste test to one other person so far, and they really dug the Peppermint Fudge and Marionberry Syrup.
Wax Orchards kindly supplied me with samples of a selection of their products for review, but I have already gone out and purchased three additional jars of their fudge with my own money to take back to Canada with me (I am tempted to get more :[). As usual, I will never be dishonest in a review. It just so happens that many of the companies that get in touch with me are ones that I already really love, or supply high-quality vegan products with no artificial ingredients. If I come across things I don’t like or think could be improved, I will mention them in the review, as I believe my viewers as well as the company would appreciate the honest feedback.
Wax Orchards Products
All products are certified Kosher, Fat-Free, Vegan, Low-Calorie, Gluten-Free and contain no artificial ingredients, no refined sugar and no preservatives or additives. Made in a facility that is certified safe from cross contamination of all common allergens.
Fat Free Chocolate Fudge Sauces:
- Oh Fudge – Traditional, medium-sweet dark chocolate.
- Classic Fudge – Dark, semisweet, European sauce.
- Fudge Fantasy – Dark, sweet and distinct.
- Peppermint Stick – Dark chocolate carefully blended with real peppermint.
- Orange Passion Fudge – A combination of dark chocolate and subtle real orange flavor.
Syrups and Sweeteners:
- Marionberry Syrup – Pure fruit topping for desserts, pancakes, waffles, ice cream, oatmeal…you name it! Marionberries (which I hadn’t heard of before) are a Northwest blackberry variety.
- Blueberry Syrup – Pure fruit topping
- Strawberry Syrup – Pure fruit topping
- Raspberry Syrup – Pure fruit topping
- Fruit Sweet – Sweetener made from only Pear and Pineapple juice concentrates. Use in baking and as a sweetener for drinks like lemonade.
Where you can find Wax Orchards Products:
Can’t find Wax Orchard Products? Want to make something similar on your own?
Here are a few recipes that aren’t exactly like Wax Orchard fudge sauces, but are in the icing/sauce/chocolately frosting realm, so hopefully you’ll find something you like:
- Raw Chocolate Shell (for pies/cakes/cookies/ice cream)
- Raw Chocolate Icing
- Raw Cashew Cream Filling (Ok, not chocolate.. but sooo good)
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Icing
- Chocolate Frosting
Delicious Recipes using Wax Orchards Products
* Quick Chocolate Cake using Wax Orchards Fruit Sweet (I veganized the recipes, but they are all by Wax Orchards :)) *
I am in the middle of moving back to Canada, so I will try to make this once I’m back and post my results with a photo.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup Wax Orchards Fruit Sweet
- 1 flax egg (1 tbs ground flax mixed into 2 tbs warm water and left for 5-10 minutes to thicken)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot water
- 4 oz vegan cream cheese (such as Tofutti)
- 1 tbs vegan butter (such as Earth Balance)
- 2-3 tbs Fruit Sweet
Soften 8 oz Tofutti cream cheese and stir in Wax Orchards Fudge Sauce to taste. For a lighter frosting, beat with electric mixer.
- Hot Chocolate – Stir a tablespoon of Wax Orchards Fudge Sauce into hot milk (Almond, Rice, Soy, Hemp…).
- Sundae – Top a cut-up banana with chopped nuts and drizzle with Wax Orchards Fudge Sauce (try heating up the fudge!)
- Peanut Butter Rice Cake – Top a brown-rice cake with one tsp of natural peanut butter and drizzle with Wax Orchards Fudge Sauce.
- Fresh Fruit – Drizzle Wax Orchards Fudge Sauces on fresh chopped fruit.
- Brownies – Drizzle Wax Orchards Fudge Sauce on top of homemade vegan brownies. Here is a wonderful raw brownie recipe!
- Naturally Sweetened Lemonade – Sweeten your homemade lemonade with Fruit Sweet. It will fully dissolve.
- Oatmeal – Naturally sweeten your oatmeal, steel cut oats or cereal with some Fruit Sweet.
- Healthy Baking – Sweeten up your cakes and cookies with Fruit Sweet. It tastes neutral, so it won’t change the flavour as it might with a sweetener like honey. Your baked goods will stay fresh longer and will retain moisture longer than if you were to use sugar.
My adventures with Wax Orchards Fat Free Peppermint Fudge Sauce and Marionberry Syrup
Fat Free Vegan Frozen Yogurt + Slightly warmed up Peppermint Fudge… oh ….my….goodness. 1 tbs of fudge goes a long way, and it’s only 45 calories. 🙂
Simple, but delicious: Banana + Drizzled Fudge Sauce:
A step further – Wax Orchards epic breakfast #1 – Banana, nectarine, 2 gluten-free waffles and some warmed up fudge sauce:
Wax Orchards epic breakfast #2 – 2 gluten-free waffles, banana, chopped strawberries and 1-2 tbs of Marionberry Syrup:
Just a quick mention about the sugar content. Even though Wax Orchards products are all made using only fruit as their sweetener, they still do contain a fair bit of natural fruit sugar, so just make sure to use their products in moderation, as you would with anything else. I find I only need to use a tsp or tbs of the fudge sauces in order to satisfy a chocolate craving, so luckily you don’t need a whole lot anyway. They are definitely a wonderful alternative to most other chocolate sauces, that are either non-vegan, high in fat, refined sugar, artificial ingredients…etc and can absolutely be a part of a healthy diet and lifestyle. I’m sure they are going to become a regular part of my desserty-times. 🙂
I hope you are able to try out the Wax Orchards products. I hope iHerb starts to carry them someday. If you are an iHerb shopper, perhaps you can drop them a line on their facebook page and ask them to start carrying them. I have asked them already, but if most people ask, they will probably try to carry them.. woot!
Hope you found this review useful. It made me hungry.