So this was a random thing I did as I was finishing up making dinner. I haven’t had chicken nuggets for years, and I wasn’t setting out to make a vegan alternative, but I wanted to make something to accompany a soup I was making for dinner and these ended up looking like nuggets and tasting a bit similar too. I know some people are a bit weirded out by vegan “chicken”, “turkey”, “beef”…etc. And I can see that it can be strange, but people eat a full or partially vegan diet for a number of reasons. Some people do it purely for health reasons, for animal rights, for the way it makes them feel and some just prefer the taste of vegan foods. I don’t miss eating meat, but it is nice to mix things up and be creative in the kitchen. Some people may love chicken nuggets but know they are usually not good for you, so they may opt for something like this. I don’t use vital wheat gluten anymore, but I used to make the chickpea cutlets in Veganomicon all the time and thought they were super yummy, so here is the recipe for those. It does contain gluten, bread crumbs, soy sauce and olive oil though, so if you’d like something gluten-free and a little “lighter”, then maybe take a looky at the recipe down below!
- ¼ cup oat flour
- 1 tsp corn starch / arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tbs nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp curry powder, optional
- ground black pepper & sea salt, to taste
- *2½-3 tbs a thick pureed soup -
- Preheat oven to 350F. Mix dry ingredients together and then add in the 2½ - 3 tbs of soup. This is a bit obscure, I know. You could probably use just vegetable stock, but the pureed sweet potato and carrot adds a nice flavor. This is why this recipe is for a small serving - I was experimenting and it ended up being a happy fluke. :)
- Mix everything well and dollop tablespoons of the mixture (it will probably be very thick and sticky) onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for around 17-18 minutes.
- Makes 4-5 small nuggets.