I posted a Zucchini fritter recipe in 2010, I believe, but that was before I starting eating a vegan diet and so I used egg in the recipe. I felt like trying out another one using more vegetables and making it gluten-free and vegan. It turned out delicious. :o)
- 3 small zucchinis, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 tbs capers (optional)
- shake of hot red pepper flakes
- 1 tbs pickled hot peppers (optional.. but yummy if you like spiciness!)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (or use can use freshly minced garlic)
- 1-2 tbs nutritional yeast
- 1 egg substitute / 1 flax egg (for flax egg, mix 1 tbs ground flax seeds with 2 tbs warm water and let sit for a few minutes before adding)
- couple shakes of Mrs. Dash Lime Fiesta (optional)
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour (or you can use another kind of gluten-free flour)
- 2 tsp Earth Balance vegan butter / Virgin Coconut Oil (I used the butter since it was in the fridge)
Makes 8 patties (using a heaping 1/4 cup of mixture for each one).
- Get out a medium-sized bowl. Grate the zucchini and then squeeze the excess water out of it. Place in the bowl. Add in the chopped tomatoes, shredded cabbage, capers, red pepper flakes, pickled hot peppers, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, egg substitute and Mrs. Dash Lime Fiesta seasoning. Start mixing all of the ingredients together. Add in 1/4 cup of brown rice flour and continue to mix. Add in the last 1/4 cup of rice flour and mix until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Heat a non-stick skillet with 1 tsp of Earth Balance vegan butter on medium-low. Form 4 patties and add to heated skillet. You may want to flatten them slightly with a spatula. Heat for about 4-5 minutes and then flip and cook for a few more minutes or until they are lightly browned. Remove from skillet and place on paper towel or parchment to remove excess butter. Add the other tsp of butter and heat the last 4 patties.
- Serve warm.