Zucchinis are one of my favourite vegetables - You can make noodles out of them, chips, fries, fritters, use them in stir fries and in casseroles and when they are grilled they are so, so good. Ok, so obviously these grilled zucchini "pizzas" won't fool anyone, but when you are in the mood for tomato herby melted cheesey goodness, then why not use zucchini as a base? It's a much lighter alternative than most of the heavy crusts out there. You can also grab an extra piece of two without feeling too guilty about it. ;)
Sadly the lighting was awful since the sun had gone down and all I had was overhead tungsten lights, so I'll try to switch these out for nicer ones soon as I assume I'll be making these again sometime next week.
If you don't have a grill, you can also make these in a frying pan. I think they are a lot tastier grilled though. :)
- 1 large zucchini, peeled and sliced length-wise
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 tbs capers
- 3-4 tbs daiya shredded vegan cheese
- 6 tbs tomato sauce / marinara sauce
- ½ tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- ground black pepper, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- ½-1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- additional toppings: chopped sauteed mushrooms, sauteed minced garlic, sauteed minced onion, sauteed chopped pineapple, veggie ground beef, vegan pepperoni slices
- Peel and slice your zucchini. Lightly oil your grill (this is the one I use...I purchased it when it was 50% off). Once it has heated up, lay down the strips of zucchini and grill on each side. When the zucchini is almost finished, slice up the tomato and put the slices onto the grill and grill on each size. Put some tomato sauce onto the zucchinis and then lay the slices of tomato on top, along with the capers, italian seasoning, black pepper, sea salt, nutritional yeast and vegan shredded cheese. If the cheese doesn't melt, you can either pop it in the oven on broil for a minute or two, or microwave it if you aren't again using them.
- That's pretty much it! Feel free to add on more things like mushrooms, garlic and vegan pepperoni...you can even grill different vegetables to use as bases, such as eggplants. This is making me hungry so i'll end it here. :P