Now that the weather has been starting to warm up, I have really been getting back into salads. I usually keep them single and fast, yet tasty and exciting enough that I won’t get sick of eating them for at least part of one meal a day. I keep all my dry salad ingredients in an open shelf above my kitchen counter, so it is super easy to just throw in the sliced almonds, raisins, salad seasoning, nutritional yeast…etc.
I haven’t added all the specific ingredients to this, since it really depends on if you are just making a single serving, or enough for a few people. You can’t really go wrong by adding in tons of veggies.
- romaine leaves, washed and ripped into bite-sized pieces
- cherry tomatoes
- cucumber, sliced
- canned artichoke hearts, separated into smaller pieces
- optional: raisins/dried cranberries, sliced almonds / cashew pieces / pinenuts, nutritional yeast, salad booster in vegan cheesy (This is yummy on salads!)
- firm tofu, drained and pressed and cut into small cubes
- italian seasoning
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar / white vinegar
- ground black pepper / lemon pepper, to taste
- squeeze of lemon
- optional: ¼-1/2 tsp curry powder and/or cayenne, to taste
- I have been making this delicious Lemon Tahini Dressing by Healthy Tasty Cheap. It is freakin' delicious and so fast to make!
- For the herbed tofu, drain and press out the excess water (I usually wrap the tofu in a few sheets of paper towel and place a heavy pan or cutting board on top and leave it for at least 20 minutes. Next, cut into small cubes, add into a bowl or bag and add in the italian seasoning, vinegar, pepper, lemon...and toss until the tofu is evenly coated. Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (or a few hours), so the tofu takes in all the flavour.
- To assemble the salad, get out a large bowl, add in the romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, artichoke and whichever other ingredients you choose. Add in the herbed tofu and toss. Add whichever dressing on top (I highly recommend the Lemon Tahini Dressing I mentioned above in the ingredients!)
If you want to know more about these products, I did a Madre Labs review in 2011.