I have wanted to try matcha green tea powder for a few years now. I don’t know why, but the awesome green colour of a green tea latte or green tea ice cream just looked so delicious! I have only had green tea ice cream once at a restaurant in Toronto, but never a Matcha Green Tea latte, so in this post, I am going to share my experience making both of those things. They will be vegan and healthy! (And delicious)
I used the Matcha Organics Green Tea Powder from Amazon.com. There is also a 40% off coupon until June 30th, 2015. 40% Off Coupon Code: 5SJLCMMW
You can also download a 100 Matcha Recipes PDF once you have your Amazon order number. The recipes aren’t primarily vegan, but they are easy to “vegan-ify” if needed, and will at least give you some ideas.
Some Benefits of Matcha Green Tea Powder
- Increased energy, memory & focus
- Boots metabolism (aids fat loss)
- Over 1,300 antioxidants – 137 times more than regular brewed tea.
- Helps to lower bad cholesterol
- Cancer-fighting properties
Matcha ice creammmm…. keep scrolling. :B
I did a quick comparison between a Starbucks Tall Green Tea Latte and the rough nutritional profile of the one I made. I actually spoke with some ladies at the dance studio last night, and most agreed that they preferred green tea lattes that they made themselves. I haven’t had the Starbucks one myself, but there is a ton of sugar and calories in one of the smallest sizes, so I think I’d pass anyway… or enjoy a huge cookie instead. 😉
Starbucks Green Tea Latte (Based on a Tall – 12oz)
- Calories: 260 (Venti is a whopping 450 :O)
- Total Fat: 6g – Sat. Fat 3g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Sodium: 140mg
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 40g
- Protein 10g
- Vit A: 10%
- Vit C: 10%
- Calcium: 35%
- Iron: 2%
- Caffeine: 55mg
Matcha Green Tea Latte Recipe I made for this post: (approximately 12oz)
- Calories: 30-50
- Total Fat: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 0
- Sodium: 90mg
- Carbohydrates: 2.7g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Sugars: 40g
- Protein 0.5g
- Vit A: 0
- Vit C: 0
- Calcium: 15%
- Iron: 2%
If you want to be able to quickly whisk and remove all the lumps from Matcha mixed with whatever liquid you’re using, you can use a bamboo whisk. It is not mandatory, but I happened to have one from a sale iHerb.com was having and nabbed it. This was my first time actually being able to use it! 🙂 You can find them on Amazon, DavidsTea, Teavana…etc.
- Blend all ingredients until smooth. I used a Vitamix since it is super fast and powerful. If you want chunkier chocolate pieces, add them in last and just pulse a few times. If the ice cream is too soft, you can put it in the freezer until it firms up a bit. I've heard placing the container of ice cream in a plastic bags helps to keep it firm but scoopable.
~I *should* have waited till this chilled in the freezer before taking a photo (and eating it), but I couldn’t wait….still was tasty.
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk (or coconut milk for extra creaminess!)
- 2 tsp matcha powder
- xylitol, to your sweetness level (or maple syrup or agave...)
- optional: 1-2 drops of peppermint extract for a mint green tea latte
- Heat the water in a pot until it starts to lightly boil. Remove from heat and use a matcha green tea bamboo whisk to mix and remove all the lumps (If you don't have one, you can use a fork.) I originally got my whisk from iHerb.com, but I'm not sure if they sell them anymore. Then, heat up the almond milk with sweetener and peppermint if you're adding that and then add the water + matcha and almond milk into a blender and blend until until is combined and becomes a bit frothy.
- You're now ready to enjoy! You can also add vegan whipped cream, some foamed non-dairy milk on top...etc. :) Add ice cubes for a cold beverage.
I hope you enjoyed this post. I want to keep playing around with matcha recipes, so I’ll probably have another one on here in the future. Let me know if you have used matcha before and what your favourite uses are!