I’ve been stuck eating the same things for breakfast and think I might not be eating enough in the early parts of the day. As a result, I eat larger amounts in the evening and this doesn’t seem too beneficial, especially since I do intense short work outs every day – I should be taking in more calories before my work out in order to fuel it. I’ve been eating muesli cereal and then I tend to wait hours before eating again. I’ve tried to break this habit by getting back into making salads – I forget how damn delicious salads can be. I’ve been making them every day for the past few days, and I just made this one for breakfast! Probably will have it for dinner too, along with some homemade cabbage soup. To people that think salads are boring/plain/unappetizing: You are not making them correctly! They can kick ass.
- large handful Alfalfa Sprouts (I used home grown! )
- large handful Baby Spinach
- 1 Carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup Cabbage, shredded
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 1 Avocado, sliced into small pieces
- 1 Celery Stalk, finely chopped
- 2-3 Black olives, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup Veggie Beef (I used Mexican flavour ground “beef” by Yves, but you can use any other brand like Smart Ground, TVP (textured vegetable protein or crumbled tofu, seitan, tempeh…etc and flavour with Mexican Seasoning*)
- Handful of Thompson Raisins
- Handful of (unsalted) Roasted sunflower seeds
- 1 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
- Juice from 1 Lemon wedge
- 1/4 tsp Lemon Pepper
- 1-2 tbs Nutritional Yeast
*You can make your own Mexican seasoning with chili peppers, garlic, onion, paprika, cumin, celery seed, oregano, cayenne and bay. Here is a Taco Seasoning Recipe.
- Get out a large bowl and add all of the ingredients. Toss well until everything is fully mixed. Pop into the fridge while you make the sour cream. You can eat this right away, but it is nice to let it sit for a while in the fridge so all the flavours mix together.
Vegan Sour Cream Recipe (I made mine a bit spicy with some garlic!)
- 1 package of firm silken tofu (Make sure it is silken!)
- 1 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Maple Syrup/Honey/Sweetener
- Couple pinches of Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder + Onion Powder (Optional)
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne (Optional)
Blend all the ingredients until fully blended and smooth. Keep in an air tight container and refrigerated.