This was my fun little breakfast this morning. Most muffins that are out in coffee shops are basically mini cakes (or not so mini – some muffins are huge!), so you might as well be eating some birthday cake. Sure, every now and again birthday cake for breakfast is awesome, but some people eat muffins daily and it isn’t a great way to start the day if they are the ones full of sugar, white flour…Sometimes Blueberries are not even real in certain cereals and baked foods. These fake blueberries are sometimes made from artificial colours, oils, sugar.
Target Blueberry bagels do have blueberries in the ingredients, but the actual blueberries “bits” are not even blueberries – instead, they are made from sugar, corn, modified food starch, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, artificial flavor, cellulose gum, salt and artificial colors. How very pleasant…. Source: http://tv.naturalnews.com
Forget all that grossness and reward your body with something that is actually real and nutritious. Blueberries (and produce in general) can be pricey, so I wait till frozen blueberries are on sale and buy a bag to keep in my freezer. A lot of frozen fruits are “flash frozen”, so they are just as nutritious (or more so!) than fresh produce, unless you pick blueberries fresh off your blueberry bush, but in case you don’t have one, frozen will do the trick!
I got the info from Starbucks and Tim Horton’s websites and the info for mine from My Fitness Pal‘s Recipe Calculator. The sugar from my muffins comes from fruit sugar from the banana and the blueberries. Granted, the two muffins may be a bit smaller than the other two muffins, but even if you made a third muffin, the calories, sugar and fat content would still be less. Pretty good if you ask me.
Starbucks Bountiful Blueberry Muffin Ingredients:
- wheat flour
- malted barley flour
- butter (milk)
- soybean oil
- baking powder
- nonfat dry milk
- cellulose gum
- vanilla extract
- lemon puree (lemon peel, sugar, lemon oil)
- modified corn starch
- natural flavor
- xanthan gum
- soy flour
Calm Mind Busy Body Blueberry Muffin Ingredients:
- corn starch
- unsweetened almond milk
- baking powder
- sea salt
- almond extract
- 2 tbs oat flour
- 2 tbs rolled oats
- ½ tbs corn starch / arrowroot starch
- 2 tbs unsweetened almond milk
- ½ small banana
- handful of frozen/fresh blueberries (I used wild blueberries - they are so small and cute!)
- 2 tsp xylitol / stevia / truvia (you can omit this since the banana will sweeten up the muffins)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- ½ tsp almond extract (or vanilla extract)
- 1 square vegan dark chocolate or ½ tbs vegan chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, add in the oat flour, rolled oats, corn starch, baking powder, cinnamon, xylitol and sea salt and mix. Next, add in the almond milk, almond/vanilla extract and banana and mash until creamy. Mix everything together and stir in the blueberries (and chocolate if you are adding that in). Get out two small silicone cup cake/muffin cups or whatever you have available and evenly distribute the batter. You could also make one larger muffin, but the cooking time would differ.
- Bake for around 23-25 minutes. Remove from oven and leave to cool for a few minutes. The muffins will firm up slightly as they cool, but they are still soft and fluffy after they firm up. If they don't get firm enough / are too squishy, bake for 2-3 more minutes.