Hey guys! I’m going to be writing an extra special review today, since it is for some products that are made here in Nova Scotia! I have taken about a week to try out a few of them in different meals that I’ve made, so I feel like I’m able to give a thorough review! I was not paid to do this review – All my reviews are always 100% honest. I will never say I like a product because I was asked or paid to do so. 🙂
*Scroll Down to the Bottom of This Post for the Contest Info!*
Do you include flax seeds / flax meal into your diet? If you do, then great! I’m sure you’ll be stoked to hear about these. If you don’t, then all the more reason to finally immerse yourself into the wonderful world of flax. Sounds dull? Well…yeah, it kind of does. BUT, the flax products I am going to be talking about are far from dull. They make eating flax fun (I know… lame, but it’s true! Keep reading :)).
Omega Crunch is the name of the company that makes these wonderful crunchy and naturally flavoured roasted flax shakers that you can shake onto pancakes, salads, potatoes, oatmeal, stir fries... (If you live in Canada, you may be familiar with the show “Dragons’ Den.” Brent, the creator of Omega Crunch, was on the show in 2011, and the company has grown and developed a lot since then. If you want to check it out, here is the link to the video.)
If you are familiar with flax seeds, you may know that our bodies cannot absorb the nutrients if the seed is eaten in its whole form. It just passes right through us, and we don’t get the benefits of the Omega-3s that are one of the selling points of flax for a lot of people. This is why people grind or buy pre-ground flax seeds (also called flax meal / ground flax), so that our body can absorb the nutrients. However, ground flax needs to be refrigerated, or it can soon become rancid and the nutrients will diminish. Some people don’t know that this happens, so they are unknowingly leaving it out for long periods of time.
What’s so great about Omega-3s?
- It is important to eat foods containing Omega-3s, since it is not naturally produced in our bodies. One way to get Omega-3s is through fish, but if you don’t eat fish, then flax seeds are another great alternative. Even if you do eat fish, you can be at risk of ingesting mercury or other toxins that are found in some fish.
- We can get Omega-3s from flax seeds (like Omega Crunch) and through flax seed oil, which is why you may take flaxseed oil instead of fish oil.
- Omega-3s in flax can reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer, stroke and diabetes. [Web MD]
Because Omega Crunch is hand-roasted at a low-temperature, you retain the nutrients and are able to get the benefits of the Omega-3s. The flax seeds are broken open through a rolling process and then once the seed is open, the husks are separated and roasted with garlic, maple, cinnamon or whatever flavour of Omega Crunch it is! And unlike ground flax, you can leave it out on your counter top for around 9 months! It does last longer if you refrigerate it, but I doubt it will last even close to 9 months, since it is so yummy and can be used for 99% of our meals, both sweet and savory ones! That said, it should last you for many, many meals before you run out.
Benefits of Flax / Omega Crunch:
- High in Fibre
- High in Protein
- High in Omega-3s (a great vegetarian/vegan alternative to fish/fish oil!)
How Long Omega Crunch Lasts:
- On shelf: 9 Months
- In Fridge: 1 Year
- In Freezer: 2.5 Years
There are no preservatives or salt or sugar added – Just natural ingredients, which makes Omega Crunch shakers a perfect addition to your spices, or even as a great way to replace salt or in some of your meals. For sweeter dishes, the sweeter Omega Crunch shakers can be a healthy granola alternative on top of yogurt or oatmeal. (Some granola is healthy, but many storebought granola is very high in sugar and sometimes fat if it is drenched in tons of oil).
At the time of writing this, there are currently the following kinds of Omega Crunch:
- Roasted Maple: Canadian Flax, 100% Pure Maple Syrup
- Garlic: Canadian Flax, California Garlic Powder, Japanese Pure Sesame Oil
- Sweet Cinnamon: Canadian Flax, 100% Pure Maple Syrup, Indonesian Ground Cinnamon
- Super Sprinkle: Shelled Flax, Organic Unsweetened Coconut, Hulled Sesame Seeds, Black Chia, Shelled Hemp, and Pure Maple Sugar
Regular: Raw Canadian Shelled Flax (I don’t have a photo, but it has a white label)
Put Omega Crunch on EVERYTHING! Here are some ideas:
Roasted Maple/Regular/Sweet Cinnamon/Super Sprinkle:
- Pancakes / Waffles
- Baked Goods / Homemade Granola Bars
- Ice Cream / Sorbet / Frozen Yogurt
- Berries / Fresh Fruit
- On top of whipped cream, which is on top of hot chocolate? (Nom nom)
- Stir Fries
- Potatoes/Sweet Potatoes
- Pasta / Spaghetti Squash / Zucchini Pasta
- On top of dips / pates / hummus
- Rice / Quinoa
- Kale Chips
- Tofu / Veggies
Omega Crunch on a healthy delicious sweet potato stir fry I made! For a very similar recipe, check out my Quick Healthy Asian-Inspired Veggie Bowl.
PROS of Omega Crunch:
- Doesn’t have to be refrigerated like ground flax does (Good for up to 9 months unrefrigerated)
- Comes in a fun, accessible shaker that makes it easy to add onto food
- No preservatives, salt or sugar (except for natural sugars from maple syrup)
- Hand-roasted, so it has a nice crunch to it
- Ready to go – No need to grind beforehand
- A study at a Halifax University proved roasting flax seeds enhances the nutrients
- More expensive than flax seeds / flax meal, but if it gets you to add flax into your diet, then I think it’s worth it! Plus, I just think it tastes better and has a way nicer texture than regular flax meal, which can get a bit gloopy when wet (But, if you only use flax for your smoothies, then regular ground flax is probably better!)~
WHERE TO BUY OMEGA CRUNCH:
- Omega Crunch
Flat Rate Canada Shipping: $9 or Free Shipping for orders over $55
Flat Rate US Shipping: $14 or Free Shipping for orders over $75
- Pete’s Frootique (NS, Canada)
- Organic Earth (NS, Canada)
****OMEGA CRUNCH GIVEAWAY!****
- 1 Person will win their choice of either a Maple Omega Crunch, a Sweet Cinnamon Omega Crunch, or a Garlic Omega Crunch. 🙂
- Contest is open to people living in Canada.
- You must respond to my email within 5 days if you are the winner or another winner will be drawn.
- 1 Entry Per Person and Per Household.
HOW TO ENTER:
- Comment on this page stating you’d like to enter this contest and also include your First name, First Letter of last name and email. (the email is so I can contact you if you win!)
- Contest will be open until Thursday, July 24th at 12pm Atlantic Time / 10am ES. No entries will be counted after that.
- I will mention the winners on our Facebook page!
- I will find the winner via a random integer website.
- Promoted on ContestGirl
As seen on Hypersweep.com!