I have had a very frustrating past couple of weeks in regards to vegan pancake making. I keep trying to improve recipes or try out different ingredients and I have had to completely toss about three batches. This morning I really just wanted pancakes haha.. it is a Sunday and my rest day from my first week of Insanity and even though I was nervous at wrecking another batch, I decided to just use one of my “tried and true” recipes and add some yummy blueberries to it. Success!! Ok, I guess it is a bit like cheating since most of the recipe is what I normally use for my pancakes, but the blueberries added a lovely flavour throughout the pancakes and it make the batter look nifty. Anyway, these pancakes kick ass. Even if you are not vegan, you may just be looking for a recipe for easy pancakes with no eggs, so this would be great for you too! They are quite healthy as far as pancakes go too.
- 1 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (use gluten-free if you wish)
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Couple pinches of Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened Almond Milk (Or Rice, Hemp, Soy…)
- 2 Ripe Bananas
- 1- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (I used frozen that were thawed out a bit)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Coconut Oil (for skillet) (I used cold-pressed virgin Coconut Oil because it is so good and healthy :))
- Blend the rolled oats, whole wheat flour, baking powder, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, almond milk and bananas in a food processor / blender until smooth. I transferred the mixture to a bowl and hand mixed for a minute since some of the dry ingredients didn’t get fully combined. Stir in the blueberries.
- Heat a non-stick skillet with a small amount of coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil to around medium heat. Get out a 1/4 cup or large spoon and use it to measure out the batter and pour into the heated skillet. (you can make them as large or small as you want, of course. I just made mine using a 1/4 cup of batter each). Heat for about 2-3 minutes on each side. They should be easy to flip over. The other side will probably need less cooking time, so make sure they don’t burn. The other side of my pancakes took only about 30 seconds.
- When your pancakes are done, top with some fresh blueberries (optional), maple syrup, vegan butter, honey, jam…I chopped up some apple and had it with mine. Sooo good.
Enjoy! I was initially going to freeze the leftover pancakes, but after three people got to them, they were all gone Next time I’m going to double the batch so that I can actually have some left to freeze, hehe.