Is pizza vegan? Well, not usually, but this one is! Homemade stovetop pizza crust, homemade tomato sauce with chickpeas, black olives, baby spinach, garlic, ginger and a slightly spicy thai peanut sauce with broccoli florets. No vegan cheese in this pizza, so it’s quite light and won’t leave you ready to pass out in bed after wards.
I made this totally on the fly a couple of nights ago… I haven’t made a pizza in probably a year. I’m glad I did… it was beautiful to prepare and very fun to assemble. Eating it wasn’t so bad either. 😉
Pizza Crust (makes 3 small-medium pizza crusts)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3-5 tbs vital wheat gluten
- handful of pepitas and/or pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 3-4 tbs nutritional yeast
- pinch of sea salt
- sprinkle of kelp granules
- 1 tsp cumin seeds or ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- extra virgin olive oil (about 1 1/2 tbs)
- 3 tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
- tomato paste – about 3/4 of a can
- 5-6 pieces of garlic, minced
- 1″ of ginger, finely minced
- 1/4 cup cooked chickpeas, roughly chopped into smaller pieces
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 6 or 7 large black olives, sliced
- red hot pepper flakes, to taste
I was going to add in sliced mushrooms, but found out they had gone bad on me, so you can use those too if you’d like.
Broccoli with Thai Peanut Sauce
- 1 small broccoli head, chopped into fine pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- 3-5 tbs nutritional yeast
- 1-2 tsp soy sauce/tamari
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 tbs natural peanut butter
- 1 tbs honey / vegan sugar
- a few pieces of pineapple, chopped into small pieces (i used canned, in real pineapple juice, but fresh is better! :))
- a bit more baby spinach
- nutritional yeast
Directions for making the pizza crust
Equipment you’ll need
Directions for Tomato sauce
- Heat a bit of oil to medium-low heat on a non-stick skillet. Add the minced garlic and ginger and saute for a minute or so. Add in the chickpeas, spinach, olives red pepper flakes, tomatoes and tomato paste and use a spatula to stir occasionally.
- Allow to simmer for 10-20 minutes and then transfer into a bowl.
Directions for Broccoli & Thai Peanut Sauce
- Start by boiling or steaming the broccoli florets. Transfer to a pot and add the water, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, garlic powder, cayenne, peanut butter and sweetener. Stir and cook on medium-low heat for a few minutes. Transfer to bowl.
Almost done and ready for pizza!
- Spoon out some of the tomato sauce and spread onto the pizza crusts.
- Add some baby spinach on top, then top with the broccoli and some of the peanut sauce.
- Add some chopped pineapple chunks and finally sprinkle with nutritional yeast.
Now you are ready o cut into slices and chow down