These roasted and herbed root vegetables are so easy to make and so yummy as a side for a meal. Eat with some other veggies, a salad, soup, tofu…
Roasted Herbed Root Vegetables
- assorted mix of potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, celery roots (I only roasted 3, you can add in as many as you'd like)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 green onions/scallions, left whole
- ground pepper, to taste
- fresh thyme
- Wash, peel and chop up the vegetables into quarters.
- Heat up a large pot with boiling water and carefully place the vegetables in. Wait for the water to boil again, and then reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 5 minutes. The vegetables should still be firm. Remove from heat and drain.
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Use a basting brush to lightly coat the vegetables with extra virgin olive oil. Add some ground pepper over top and place the vegetables on a aluminium foil-lined baking sheet. Put the green onions on top, as well as two or three sprigs of fresh thyme.
- Roast for around 30-35 minutes - At the half-way point, use a spatula or wooden spoon to turn over the vegetables so they are cooked evenly on all sides. After 30-35 minutes, remove the sheet from the oven. The vegetables should be a crispy brown colour, but not burnt.
- Allow to slightly cool and then serve.