I’ve probably made this spicy lentil soup more than I have made anything else on here (except for granola bars & hemp protein shakes since I make them quite often for post-work outs). This is a really delicious, hearty, comforting and low fat soup. You don’t have to stick to the recipe either – Actually, the photograph for the soup is a little deceiving because I had some veggies in the fridge that I needed to use up and I decided to put some gluten-free tofu noodles into it, which I’ve never done before. Either way, it’s so good and you can make a large pot and have it for several days. I have to admit that I did rush the photos for this as my weeks have been very busy, but I still wanted to get this recipe up. It tastes a lot better than it looks. 🙂
I’ll mention the things I added to this batch at the end of the ingredients list in order to give some extra ideas.
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 green onion, chopped / half white onion, chopped
- 2 chopped celery stalks
- 1-2 carrots, sliced with peeler
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1¼ cup dried lentils (I often use half lentils, half barley)
- 5 cups water / stock (I use veggie stock cubes added into water)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp curry powder, ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes, ½ tsp ground pepper
- 2-3 chopped fresh tomatoes / canned whole tomatoes
- 2 cups spinach, finely chopped / kale
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- * In my latest soup, I added some chopped snow peas and some gluten-free tofu noodles (see photos below). I got the noodles at a small grocery store that sells a lot of vegan and organic foods. It had 2 servings per pouch at 20 calories a serving and requires no cooking, just drain and serve - it's a great alternative to wheat pasta.
- Saute onion, celery & carrots on medium heat for 5 minutes in a large pot.
- Add the water/stock, cumin, garlic, pepper flakes, lemon, curry powder, potatoes & lentils/barley.
- Cover and cook on low-medium heat for approximately 1 hour (I find it normally takes longer if I'm making a large pot... so it may be more like 1½-2 hours).
- Add the tomatoes and spinach/kale and cook 10-20 minutes longer.
- Allow to slightly cool and serve.