I never used to know that standard Worcestershire sauce had anchovies in it. I also didn’t know that there were vegan varieties out there. That made me quite happy, since I love a caesar (without clamato…didn’t really know that actually had clams in it for a long time either) or a virgin/bloody Mary on a hot summer day. It is so refreshing – especially when you know there aren’t any anchovies lingering in your drink. 😉
So, this isn’t really a recipe per say. It is more of a “tip” to those who either don’t know that worchestershire sauce isn’t vegan and/or who aren’t aware that you can get vegan varieties. Hopefully it’ll be helpful to at least some one.
Basic Ingredients (non-alcoholic)
- Tomato Juice (mine had mostly tomato but also some other vegetables in there) – Try to get low sodium juice. Some have way too much. 😐
- Couple shakes Vegan Worcestershire Sauce (The kind I used was by Wan Ja Shan – pictured below)
- Couple Shakes Tabasco Sauce / Hot Sauce
- Celery Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Lime Wedge
- Celery Stalk
- Optional: Ice cubes
- Take a lime wedge and rub it around the rim of your glass. Next, sprinkle a small amount of the celery salt on a flat surface and turn your glass over and coat the rim with the salt. It should stick nicely. If not, you may need a little extra lime juice.
- Place some ice cubes in your glass. Pour in the tomato juice, the shakes of vegan worcestershire sauce, the tabasco sauce, some ground pepper and stir with the celery stalk.
Feel free to add in the vodka if you so desire. I like keeping mine non-alcoholic most of the time.