I had the day off from my day job and had a sudden impulse to make some pink frosting (after I had just finished 2 hours of exercise at the gym :P)…buttttt, I like to think that it’s not so bad to eat a couple of cookies with frosting after workin’ my butt off. Plus, I kind of wanted something semi-Valentine’s related to post. I was really short on ingredients, and these might not be the most gracefully frosted cookies, but they were delicious.
- 2 tbs cold vegan butter (I used soy-free Earth Balance butter)
- 3 tbs cups powdered cane sugar (sugar-free version: use powdered xylitol)
- ½ tsp beet powder (I got mine from the bulk section of a health store to save money by only getting as much as I need)
- Use a fork to fluff the butter and remove the lumps. Add in the beet powder and gradually add in the powdered sugar and stir so everything is combined and smooth. Do a taste test before you add in all the sugar to see if it is sweet enough. (always good to use less sugar if we can... not that this is the healthiest thing as it is, but it's nice for special occasions :)).
- Use on cookies, cupcakes, cakes, sweet breads...etc. Keep leftovers in the fridge.
Natural Food Colouring
- Pink: Beet Powder
- Red: Strawberries, Raspberries
- Orange: Carrots
- Green: Spirulina, Spinach
- Yellow: Tumeric
- Blue/Purple: Blueberries
Gift Thoughtful Ideas
I actually wrote this list in February 2014 for a post (woops..1 year later), so I thought I’d tack it onto the end of this post in case it gives anyone some ideas. Nothing super original, but still some things that’d be nice to receive.
- Mason jar filled with cookies/treats with recipe attached on handwritten tag
- Homemade Recipe Book with Your Fave Recipes written inside
- Photo Collage
- Girl Certificate for their favourite place
- Mix CD/USB or shared playlist of music that reminds you of the person you’re giving it to or songs that have meaning to the both of you
- Hot Chocolate Mix / Homemade Spice mixes in mason jars. (include mini vegan marshmallows and directions)
- Write a personal handwritten letter.
- Personalized coffee mug (there are a bunch of tutorials on Pinterest for how to write / draw your own design on glasses / mugs)
- Box of homemade raw truffles.
- Homemade Sugar Scrub
- Small succulents (you can get really creative with the presentation of these)
- For tea lovers – this manatee tea infuser is adorable. I want one. There is also a whale infuser!