I have been having to leave the house quite early a couple of times this week, so I’ve been making my breakfast the night before so it is all ready for me when I wake up. Just one less thing to worry about, and is a better option than a lot of “quick” breakfast options – Most cereals are very high in sugar, as are a lot of the breakfast “bars”. I’ve been having oatmeal on the chillier mornings, but is very nice, but this buckwheat bake is a good mix of oatmeal and a muffin. Heat it up slightly before eating it and maybe top it with a little jam and/or peanut butter or almond butter and you’ve got a filling and delicious breakfast to get yer day goin’!
- ¼ cup buckwheat flour (ground up buckwheat groats)
- 1 tbs buckwheat groats
- 1 tbs chia seed
- 2 tbs gluten free oats
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp egg replacer
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbs chopped walnuts
- 1 tbs thompson raisins
- 4 tbs unsweetened apple sauce
- 3 tbs unsweetened almond milk / soy / hemp / rice
- ½ tbs light agave nectar / maple syrup / honey
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup + 2 tbs frozen blueberries, partially thawed / fresh blueberries
- Get out a medium-sized bowl and add in the buckwheat flour, buckwheat groats, chia seeds, gluten free oats, flax meal, baking powder, egg replacer, cinnamon, walnuts and raisins and mix together.
- Next, add in the wet ingredients – Applesauce, milk, agave and vanilla extract and mix well until everything is combined. Fold in the blueberries.
- Distribute the mixture evenly into two ramekins. Cook in microwave for approximately 5½ minutes. (I did it in rounds of 1½ minutes). Be careful removing since the ramekins will be hot. Allow to fully cool and then cover and place in the fridge or eat in the ramekin or transport onto a plate.
- Serve with some jam, more walnuts or some peanut/almond butter. Cut them in half if you want a smaller portion since they are dense and quite filling.
If you would like a very similar baked version of this, check out the Baked Gluten Free Blueberry Buckwheat Breakfast Cake (it’s even yummier!).