Portobellos were on sale recently, so I grabbed a bunch and made some burgers. They can be pricier than a lot of other varieties of mushrooms, so you could probably use another kind if you don’t want to use portobellos. I find that mushrooms in general are quite hearty and “meaty”. I love my salads and green smoothies and veggie stir fries, but I love having a nice vegan patty/burger every now and again. I usually omit bread and opt for romaine leaves instead.
- 3 portobello mushrooms
- 3-5 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp cajun seasoning (optional, I had it layin' around)
- ½ tsp italian seasoning / thyme / oregano
- pinch of sea salt
- black ground pepper, to taste
- shake of cayenne pepper
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup flax meal
- ½ cup almond meal
- 2-3 drops of liquid smoke
- cornmeal, for coating
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add all the portobellos and garlic into a blender or food processor until fully blended. Add into a large bowl, along with the rest of the ingredients (except the cornmeal).
- Form patties out of the mixture, coat in cornmeal (optional) and then place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for around 25 minutes or until your desired texture. Makes around 7 burgers. I think these would probably freeze well, but I haven't tried it yet. 🙂