Easy Vegan Cold Rice Paper Rolls with Chickpea “Tuna” & Grilled Portobello

healthywraps_thumb

I’ve been on a rice paper roll kick in the last few days. They are so fresh and light and take no time to make. Great alternative to bread, pitas, tortillas, fried spring rolls…etc. And you can fill them with just about anything! The two quick recipes I’ve added below are what I ate for both lunch and dinner. One has Chickpea “Tuna”, which can be used as a sandwich spread, on top of salads, on crackers, or eaten on its own.

Ingredients for Chickpea “Tuna” Avocado Cold Rolls

• Rice Paper
  • Avocado Slices
  • Alfalfa Sprouts
  • Baby Spinach, chopped
  • Romaine Lettuce, chopped
  • Green Olives, sliced
  • Tomato, sliced
  • Red Bell Pepper, sliced
  • Chickpea “Tuna” Spread

Directions

1. Prepare the vegetables and chickpea mixture. Briefly soak a sheet of rice paper in warm water and place on a flat surface. Add the ingredients near the bottom of the wrap and fold the left and right side over. Then take the bottom of the rice paper and roll over your mixture and keep rolling till you’ve reached the top of the rice paper. Press down on the edges to make sure it is secure and doesn’t fall apart. If you have no idea what I just said, here is another page with rice paper wrapping instructions :): How to Wrap Rice Paper
  2. Cut in half on an angle (optional) and serve. I served these with hot red pepper jelly.

Ingredients for Grilled Portobello Cold Rolls:

• Rice Paper
  • Alfalfa Sprouts
  • Baby Spinach, chopped
  • Sliced Tomato
  • Grilled Portobello Mushroom slices
  • My Mushroom marinade: Balsamic Vinegar, Lemon Juice, Olive Oil, Ground Pepper

Directions

1. I marinated my mushrooms before grilled them. You can skip this step or just add them to the rolls raw, which is a good step if you are strapped for time. If you do want to marinade them, mix some balsamic vinegar, fresh lemon juice, 1 tsp olive oil and some ground pepper in a shallow dish and place the sliced mushrooms in. Leave them for a few minutes and then turn them over. Heat up your grill and grill for a few minutes on each side.
  2. Now make your wraps! How to Wrap Rice Paper. I served these with some hot red pepper jelly and some vegan cajun mayo (Just take homemade vegan mayo or store bought vegan mayo and add in some cajun spices.

I don’t think rice paper wraps will last too long, so i’d eat them within 24 hours and wouldn’t suggest making any more than you think you and the people you are feeding will be able to eat within that time. Fresh is best, anyway. :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

18 Responses to “Easy Vegan Cold Rice Paper Rolls with Chickpea “Tuna” & Grilled Portobello”

1. Lent season is around the corner. This will come in handy. Thank you for sharing =)

2. Clare says:

Awesome! Hope you enjoy :) –Clare

3. These look so refreshing – like you’d feel light all day after eating them. Rice paper is something I’ve never dealt with before, but you’ve inspired me to give it a try. I have a recipe sitting in my stash for a mock-tuna salad also, that uses white beans instead of chickpeas – maybe I’ll try both! Thanks for the inspiration!

4. Vicky says:

These look so good. I absolutely love rice paper wrappers and have made summer rolls a few times — they just taste so refreshing!

5. These look gorgeous! I love homemade sushi, but have yet to use rice paper. But these look so good that i just might have to give this a whirl. ;)

6. mary says:

Read your reply sara.I was wondering how to make mock tuna. Thank you for your reply on that. I will try the white bean mixture. I get tired of the same old pita bread as much as I injoy them. I will look for this in the asian food department.

7. Mary says:

These are not vegan if you use real mayonnaise.

8. Clare says:

That’s correct – one would use vegan mayo ;)

9. Clare says:

Ooh, yay! I hope you try out the rice paper – it’s very convenient and easy to use. White beans instead of chickpeas sounds like a good idea. :) –Clare

10. Clare says:

Mm, I love homemade sushi also. I think it was rice paper that got me thinking about making my own sushi. If you know how to do that, wrapping rice paper will be easy ;) –Clare

11. Clare says:

hi Vicky – Agreed. They are a perfect quick meal… and they help to keep my “naughtier” cravings like fried spring rolls at bay. :)

12. Audrey says:

YUM!! The mock-tuna spread looks delicious!! I love rice paper rolls, and this is a great take on them. Thanks for sharing!

13. Clare says:

You’re welcome! :) I lovvvvve mock-tuna. I also make it with soaked and blended sunflower seeds instead of/as well as chickpeas. Enjoy! –Clare

14. Diana says:

Tried this tonight after findingbit while searching for a Lenten meal ideas. It was delicious and something my husband and I will have again. Can’t wait to experiment with other combinations of veggies.

15. Clare says:

Ooh fantastic! Glad you two enjoyed them :) You can pretty much fill rice paper with anything and it’ll taste good. Cheers! –Clare

16. dubturbo says:

dubturbo…

[...]Easy Vegan Cold Rice Paper Rolls with Chickpea “Tuna” & Grilled Portobello | Calm Mind Busy Body[...]…

17. [...] Chickpea and Portobello Rice Paper Wraps from Calm Mind Busy Body [...]