Vegan Stovetop Stuffed Pizza Pockets / Calzones
- ¾ cup warm water
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs coconut palm sugar / another vegan sugar
- sea salt, to taste
- 2 cups whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
Filling (whatever you wish, but here is what I added)
- Chopped baby spinach
- Green olives, sliced
- Tomato, chopped
- Broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- A bit of shredded vegan "mozzarella" cheese
- Vegan parmesan
- 2 tsp Earth Balance butter (for skillet)
- Starting off with the crust, get out a large bowl and add in all of the Crust ingredients. Mix together well and knead for a couple of minutes with your hands. Shape into a ball and cover with a moist towel/paper towel for about 10 minutes while you prepare the filling.
- Get out another bowl and add whatever you'd like the filling to be. Just think about what you enjoy on pizzas and then chopped up the ingredients and mix together.
- Uncover the pizza dough and get out a wooden cutting board or flat service and sprinkle with some flour. Take a small amount of the dough (I made 6 pizza pockets in total), form a ball and then use a rolling pin to roll out into a flat circle. Take a bit of your filling mixture and place near the centre of the rolled out dough. Take the side of the dough closest to you and fold and tuck under your mixture, including the sides and then finish rolling over until you get a half-circle kind of shape. Make sure the filling isn't sticking out. Do this for the rest of the dough.
- Heat 1 tsp or a bit less of Earth Balance in a non-stick skillet on medium-low heat. Make sure a thin layer of the butter is covering the whole skillet. Place your pizza pockets (I fit three in at a time) in the skillet and let cook for a minute or two on each side (I turned them 4 times to cover all the sides).
- Remove from heat, cut in half and serve! I dipped mine in honey mustard but they are yummy plain too.