This fast vegetarian recipe is a great healthy alternative to deep fried fritters. I’m sure people who aren’t zucchini fans will enjoy it too. I like playing around with different flavours and I’ll add to this post as I come up with other good variations.The lime juice really adds a ton of zesty flavour to the zucchinis.
How to make Healthy Zucchini Fritters
1-2 tsp Lime juice
Cayenne pepper (however much you desire)
Ground pepper (again, to your tastes)
2 tbs Nutritional Yeast
1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 Egg substitute or a “Flax Egg”*
*Flax eggs: vegan substitute to eggs – use ratio 1:3, 1 part ground flax seeds and 3 parts water, so for 3 flax eggs you would add 3 tbs of ground flax seeds into a bowl with 9 tbs of water and mix and allow to thicken for a minute or two.
Alternatives: Use lemon juice instead of lime and add a couple of minced garlic cloves)
- Grate the two zucchinis in a medium-sized bowl
- Squeeze Out excess water out of the zucchinis
- In a smaller bowl, as the egg substitute/flax egg, add the lime, cayenne pepper, ground pepper and nutritional yeast
- Add egg mixture to grated zucchinis
- Slowly add in the whole wheat flour, mixing as you add it.
- Mix well. Mixture should still be wet when you finish mixing.
- Heat nonstick skillet to medium heat (Opt: add 1 tbs olive oil or some coconut oil)
- Add approximately 2 tbs of the zucchini batter into pan. Flatten slightly.
- Fry each side for 4-6 minutes or until optimal crispness.
This makes around 5-7 fritters, depending on how large you decide to make them.
Serve with side salad. Some sauce suggestions are Horse Radish, Plain nonfat yogurt or nonfat sour cream.
Enjoy! And let me know if you come up with any variations of this recipe! 🙂
(Based on 2 Servings)